RE: [ST] RS rider in Mass sighted today

Yo Bryce,

I see the problem. Don't take this as a slam, but it ain't the bike, it's
the rider(s). If you're both going the same speed though a corner, and your
preload is set correctly for two-up, you shouldn't have a touchdown issue if
your YZF600-mounted friend doesn't, unless he's getting off the seat a bit
to hold his bike up a bit more.

At the very least, you need to do more in-depth analyzing of the RS's
troubles for your kind of riding. How much does your friend weigh vs. you &
your girlfriend together? What spring rate does the YZF have for his weight
vs. your Penske for two-up? Are YOU getting off the seat at all? On my RS
yesterday, I can tell you I didn't touch down even once even though I
touched down at a track day last week and I KNOW *I* was getting more lean
angle on the street, not the bike. The new pavement was sticking like glue
and getting off the seat as much as I did, my head was closer to the
pavement in the turns, not the bike.

I know that's near impossible riding two-up, but if you're riding that hard
with a passenger, perhaps you *should* knock it down a bit. If you still
have problems scraping, get your butt of the seat.

I was really working my RS hard yesterday on very familiar roads with
friends in tow. I concentrated on weighting the outside peg, really no
weight on the seat through the corners at all. And the RS performed AWESOME!
Yes, it's a little heavy as compared to a Speed Four or SV650, but now that
I am getting better at riding it, it's clearly not the bike that's a
limitation, it's the rider. I keep on expanding the limitations of that
element. I hope you do too.

Good luck.

Ken M.
'00 RS