Re: [ST] 2003 ST needs

Hi

My (second hand) 2003 ST came with pretty much the entire Triumph
extras catalogue installed - the previous owner had spent best part of
£2K on extras when he bought it.  Unfortunately I can't easily compare
to standard model therefore, but I'd strongly recommend the headlight
relay mod (get both lights on when on dip setting), having a hugger
(Triumph model works fine, but guess most 3rd Party would too), and the
front mudguard extension.  Triumph luggage is OK - but my set at least
isn't water-proof, which is a bit of a problem in the 'sunny' UK - and
has 3 locks each side where others have only 1.  Gel seat seems to be
v.good, but haven't tried the standard - I've done several 300 mile
runs without major discomfort.  I changed the screen for the Triumph
tall screen, and you do get much better protection (which for me
translates into higher cruising speed...) but with a considerable
increase in turbulence / noise (I'm v.tall, so may not be issue if you
are shorter).  Have considered going back to std screen to reduce noise
(and speed...).  Heated grips are also a good thing, and the standard
Triumph ones work well.

Other stuff to consider - add a Scott Oiler - the one on my machine
works wonderfully and largely eliminates need to adjust chain.  I've
also been very pleased with a change to high-intensity bulbs (I've got
90/110W 'superwhite' bulbs, but I'm told even the stock wattage
replacements make a useful difference) - but fitting them is a bit of a
game.

My 2003 ST has done about 8500 miles, and not missed a beat.  V.fast,
v.comfortable, a great joy.

Best regards

Gavin Lawrie
2003 ST