RE: [ST] Bulb Replacement tips

I just finished putting the new Sylvania bulbs in (man, oh man, are they
bright!) and I have a few additional tips:

I found that turning the handlebars toward the side I'm working gave me more
clearance.  (Turn the wheel to the left when working on the left bulb, etc.)
When I turned in the opposite direction, I found the fork to be too close to
the bulb for me to move things around.

Not only should you not touch the bulbs with your fingers, you shouldn't
touch the bulbs to anything else.  This is a LOT harder than it sounds,
since as STeve notes, you will not be able to see what you are doing.

Put the gloves on only when handling the bulb; they will get plenty dirty
when you remove the boot, etc, and the gloves need to be clean.  I was able
to perform the operation while only holding the base, and didn't need the
gloves.

On my '03 ST, the cables for the instrument cluster on the right side had
the boot pinned in pretty good.  I had to yank quite forcefully to get it
out, and it took a good 10 minutes to get it back on and seated.

STeve is right about the metal retaining clip keeps wanting to swing back
over the opening while you put the new bulb in; make sure you secure it out
of the way.

Also, when putting the new bulb in, I had a tough time guiding it in and
getting it seated.  Since visibility is limited, I found it easiest to look
through the front of the headlight cover and watch for bulb alignment.
Admittedly, it was like looking through a kaleidoscope, but it worked.
While in this position, I could reach under the fairing and hold the
retaining clip aside.

You'll have to wiggle the bulb a bit to get it seated because of the hinge
of the clip.  When it is properly seated, you won't be able to rotate it at
all; if you can rotate it, then it isn't seated.  It should feel like you're
about to push the bulb all the way through and drop it inside the lens.

  - Dave