Re: [ST] fork springs in old vs new ST's

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 17:00, Bryce wrote:
> Well u tell me where it says the ST or RS for model
> years 1999-2004 have Cartridge forks...
>
> We have Showa 43mm inverted telescopic forks with dual
> rate springs and preload adjustment.  That's it.  Not
> Cartridge forks in there.
>
> The first gen. Sprint RS/ST are different from the
> 2002s.  In 2002 they changed to Second-generation
> fuel-injected engine delivering 120bhp as opposed to
> 110bhp b4, relocated the Alternator for quieter
> riding, relocation of the alternator to the top of the
> engine lessened the tank capacity by .4 gallons.  They
> did not change the 43mm forks in any way as far as I
> know.  If they change the Spring rate to from fork
> springs that's news to be, but could be possible, I
> just didn't know about it til now.
>
> If you don't know what Damper Rods are look here:
>
> http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/racetech/index.htm
>
> Even if Triumph stiffened the spring rate in 2002 like
> you say, it still has cruddy damper rods in the forks
> causing hydraulic lock when going over harsh bumps.
> The fluid in the forks flows through the holes in the
> damper rods, well if u compress the fork too quickly,
> the fluid cannot get through the holes quick enough
> and the front of your bike effectively becomes a
> stilt, doesn't let the springs compress...so all that
> jolt of the harsh bump in the road is transferred
> right to the rider....not good.
>
> The Racetech Gold valve emulators do just that,
> emulate cartridge forks and the valving in them.  So
> when u hit a small bump it flows fluid, not big deal,
> but when u hit a acute, harsh bump it doesn't get
> hydraulic lock because the emulators opens up to let
> more fluid pass through, thus allowing the fork and
> spring to compress properly and soak up the bump.

I've installed Race Tech emulators and springs in my 2003 ST.

The front forks are now far more compliant then they where before. It
now feels as though there is some real damping going on. I matched it up
with an Ohlins bought second hand from this list. It handles much better
but is still no GSXR1000(I had one) not even in the same league for high
speed handling. OK up to about 110 but that's it. I rode a 2004 Aprilia
RS the other day. What a revelation handling wise. Rock solid... No good
for two up though.