Re: [ST] ST totaled

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 09:16:33PM -0800, Blake Sobiloff wrote:
> It
> was my first drop ever on the street--over 50,000 accident-free miles
> until then.

Dude, sorry to hear that.  At least you didn't get hurt.

> This evening I went down to the garage to slap on the new parts, and
> as I was removing the old frame slider I saw this:
>
> 	<http://home.mindspring.com/~sobiloff/ST_engine_mount.jpeg>
>
> The black metal with the silver fissure is the left upper-front engine
> mount.  More choice language!!!
>
> At this point I'm assuming that my bike is totaled.  (Anyone offer any
> ideas to the contrary?)

Oh yeah.

> This also becomes the second ST I know of whose frame or engine mount
> was broken by a frame slider during a low speed fall.  Brian D's ST
> had a GSG Moku frame slider installed when he lost the back-end while
> turning from a side street onto a main street.  I don't think either
> one of us blame the slider, but from the evidence I've seen it seems
> that the engine mounting points on an ST/RS are NOT strong enough to
> act as good mounting points for frame sliders.
>
> Its curious that both of our falls were low speed ones where we lost
> the rear end.

While mine was low speed, it did turn into a highside.  It cracked my
frame as well as shearing the whole side of the head off.

http://brd.erf.net/photos/bikecrash/Pages/7.html

If you have full coverage, I'm sure they'll total the bike.  It could
probably be welded, but the insurance co. won't do that.  The good news
is that you will most likely get A LOT more for your ST by totalling it
than you ever could have sold it for.  My 99 had almost 30k miles on it
and I got $7600 from the insurance co.  No way I could have sold it for
even $5k.

Laters,
Brian
- --