[ST] Ozark trip, Day One

Friday, November 11
I worked about three hours today and went home to get Merlin READY for the
trip into the Ozarks. I loaded Merlin and prepared for whatever the weather
threw at me. I took my Motoport all-weather winter jacket, liner, long
sleeve T-shirts, thermals, and the normal short sleeve t-shirts. I left the
house around 11:30 AM and headed to the gas stop past David Viosca "Bird
Dawgâ??s" house and was to meet him there. I talked to a construction worker
who loved my Triumph for about fifteen minutes. I then became concerned
that Bird Dawg had not show up. Something was amiss? I dug out the cell and
had a message from Bird. Sure enough his Guzzi "Kermit" would not start. He
was installing a new battery he had bought since Kermit still had the
original battery. I rode back to Bird Dawgâ??sâ?? house and the battery was not
charging. His battery charger seemed to not be working correctly. Two
different multi-meters showed no charge and we went to his dadâ??s house and
secured another charger. We then returned and placed the new battery on the
charger. This meant that we had an hourâ??s wait while it charged. We decided
that we might as well eat lunch and took his new bright yellow SSR2 to the
Subway in The Colony. The SSR2 drew quite a crowd as we ate and Bird
answered questions about the truck. I just told them we had to wear full
armor to ride in the SSR2 as we still had on our riding gear. After lunch
and back to Birdâ??s house. We installed the new battery. No start! Bird then
pushed the bike back and worth but still no-go. He then raised the side
stand and Kermit fired up. Wow big boy, donâ??t shut her off, and we headed
out. Apparently the side stand interlock may have been the culprit all
along. We thought that the nice long ride to the first gas stop would fully
charge Kermitâ??s battery. We crossed highway 380 to McKinney and then headed
north on Central Expressway/ US75/US69. I gave the normal wave good bye to
Texas as we crossed the Red River into Oklahoma. The traffic really thinned
out as we continued farther north. The boring ride up the Interstate was
uneventful except for passing so many cages and we sailed along in mid
seventy degree weather with clear blue shies. We made our normal gas stop
in Atoka, Oklahoma. The station is convenient as it sits on the right side
of the road, has plenty of pumps, a deli, and clean rest-rooms. Just what
Merlin and I both need as the next stop is about eighty miles east. I
talked to the station owner about why we always stopped there and he was
appreciative. We then rode about six miles up US69 and turned east through
Stringtown and onto highway 43. I love highway 43, as it is open with
sweeping curves and little traffic. In addition, on both side of you there
are mountain ranges with great views that close in as you cross eastern
Oklahoma and finally turn at Sardis Lake and cross the dam. Itâ??s short
fifteen-mile ride on highway 63 to Talihina. I got a scare here as bright
lights started flashing in my face from the right mirror. A cop was my
first thought but it turned out to be the sun flashing in a strobe light
effect through the trees. Daylight was running out fast. In downtown we
make a left and headed east on highway 1 past the National Guard Armory and
the Big Gun. As you approach the Talimena Parkway highway 63 starts a
slight climb and has several fast sweepers to warm up for whatâ??s to come.
We stop at the base of the parkway, clean our shields, and change from
light to medium gloves knowing that the temperature will start dropping
fast as we climb on top of Winding Stair Mountain and the darkness
approaches. The Talimena Parkway is one of the best and most scenic drives
around and today was spectacular with the clear skies and fading sun. This
was the first time to really test the new Metzler ME Z6 front tire I had
mounted two days ago and I was most impressed. The tire is good and felt
very stable and confidence inspiring crossing the parkway. The parkway has
open sweepers and tight turns on both flat, uphill, and downhill turns. And
they can be back to back within a quarter mile of each other. The first ten
miles are mainly faster sweepers but at around 11 miles and again at 13
miles they become tight and can catch you off guard. Especially if you see
the 25 MPH sign and go through the turn around fifty only to find that the
sign is really for the second or third turn that really is a 25 MPH turn.
Hold on but stay relaxed and the ride is rewarding. Look at too much
scenery or keep the faster pace and disaster is just waiting for the next
victim. As we get about half way across the parkway we pull over at one of
the many overlooks to change shields and gloves. Two things are happening.
First the temperature has fallen to around fifty degrees and the sun has
left us. There were tow women at this overlook taking pictures of the
sitting sun on the mountains. The setting sun is the second and most
important thing. A great view and then saddle back up and head on east in
the dark. Iâ??ve ridden the parkway at night before but it is usually foggy.
Tonight the air is clear and dark. A new experience on the parkway and very
enjoyable following Kermitâ??s lights. As we approach the Queen Wilhelmina
Lodge the view is like a postcard. This is the first time to see the lodge
coming up in clear air at night and the lights through the trees was a new
happening to be stored away for future remembrances. As we pass the lodge
the area is much lighter and then plunges back into darkness. About ten
miles later we have the lights of Mena off to our left for another great
view. I love the look of lights at night and in the high ground of the
parkway looking down across Mean it is stunning. We soon arrive at the
Limelight Inn and find that only smoking rooms are left. Bummer! We take an
upstairs room as we think the older smokers probably take the lower rooms
because of the stairs. We guessed right and the room doesnâ??t even smell of
smoke. We unload and then head off to the restaurant, which is packed.
After waiting a while Bird ask two older couples if we can share a table
with them. The Dawgâ??s are hungry and the company is friendly and talkative.
We soon find that one of the men is a good friend of our pal Jason Masters
who has been there every time Kermit has hiccupped. Good conversation with
the couples leads to an extended stay after eating. We then head back to
the room and a good nightâ??s sleep. Total mileage for today is 260.

         Jack "Rude Dog"
         Hays
         972-952-5065
         972-952-2968 fax