FirstGear jackets(Re: [ST] cold air and zippers)

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 07:24:40AM -0800, Al Garvin wrote:
>    Someone on the list was talking about First Gear Kilimanjaro jackets
> and I was in the market for something to use in both winter and summer
> in California. I ended up getting one. It has flaps over all zippers in
> addition to Velcro over all flaps. It has super Velcro at the cuffs
> which keep air out of the sleeves. I am still finding new pockets in
> this thing a year later. It has a zip in liner, a place to put a water
> bottle, and elastic near the bottom which keeps the jacket from riding
> up and letting cold air in. Every time I go out in the cold with this
> thing on I am amazed at its usefulness.

It's good for the cool, not really for cold.  As someone else said,
below 40F it's pretty chilly.

Also after 1 year, mine completely lost its waterproofing.  I've gotten
so drenched and mad on rides home from work (25 miles) that I've
considered tossing it out, but I paid too dang much for it.  And FG's
waterproofing spray is worthless.

Now who has cold weather experience with the FG Z-Pilot jacket?  It's
got those huge zippers on the front, and I'm thinking they would be
major cold leaks.

Laters,
Brian
- --