[ST] Ohlins question

I have an Ohlins shock on my 99 ST and have had for many years and many
miles.  Recently I took it to be serviced along with the forks.  After
bolting everything back together and trying to set the sag I find that the
rear preload is insufficient even with the hydraulic adjuster at maximum.  I
need to adjust the base preload.

The Ohlins manual says to take it to an Ohlins-authorized service center to
do this.  I can certainly take it to the place that did the service, but
that's inconvenient.  Has anyone successfully modified the base preload on
an Ohlins shock with a hydraulic adjuster?  If so, what's the trick...and
why does Ohlins want you to go to a shop to do it?

Thanks!

- -Stephen