RE: [ST] Ohlins question

Was the sag correct when you first put the shock on new?  If it was, than
I'd say they, the vendor, owes you to correct what they did wrong in
servicing the unit.

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen
<<
 have an Ohlins shock on my 99 ST and have had for many years and many
miles.  Recently I took it to be serviced along with the forks.  After
bolting everything back together and trying to set the sag I find that the
rear preload is insufficient even with the hydraulic adjuster at maximum.  I
need to adjust the base preload.

The Ohlins manual says to take it to an Ohlins-authorized service center to
do this.  I can certainly take it to the place that did the service, but
that's inconvenient.  Has anyone successfully modified the base preload on
an Ohlins shock with a hydraulic adjuster?  If so, what's the trick...and
why does Ohlins want you to go to a shop to do it?