From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Colt45
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 6:35 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Technique question

It works on every bike I've ever ridden.  Bike transmissions are constant
mesh, not like a car.  The gears are constantly engaged, but only one is
splined to the shaft.  There is a sliding disc with engagement "dogs" that
is splined to the other shaft.  The shifter moves the disc left and right.
Due to the design, the disc and dogs are always spinning at the RPM of the
each gear it is beside, except when you go through Neutral.  This design
makes a compact, quick shifting transmission at the expense of a little
extra friction.

Don't be timid, you can cause a false neutral between gears, occasionally.