RE: [ST] Technique question

So this explains why when I shift from 1st to 2nd or back from 2nd to 1st I get a grunt or just more resistance?

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Colt45
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 4:35 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] Technique question

It works on every bike I've ever ridden.  Bike transmissions are
constant mesh, not like a car.  The gears are constantly engaged, but
only one is splined to the shaft.  There is a sliding disc with
engagement "dogs" that is splined to the other shaft.  The shifter moves
the disc left and right.  Due to the design, the disc and dogs are
always spinning at the RPM of the each gear it is beside, except when
you go through Neutral.  This design makes a compact, quick shifting
transmission at the expense of a little extra friction.

Don't be timid, you can cause a false neutral between gears, occasionally.

David Pullen wrote:

>Does anyone out there regularly up-shift without using the clutch?  Any
>issues with the transmission as a result of this?
>
>I have recently been taught this technique, but am hesitant to use it on my
>bike...
>
>Thanks,
>  - Dave

- --