RE: [ST] Dreaded cupping

Neil wrote:
> I'd also suggest that the cupping of the front tire tread
> is symptomatic of relatively heavy use of the front brake,
> notwithstanding the fact that Bridgestone tires seem to
> be particularly susceptible to this phenomenon.

Gotta jump in here.  As a subscriber to the "Pace" school of riding, I'm not
a heavy braker.  My OE front pads lasted almost 34k miles and would have
gone much farther had a rock not become wedged behind one of the pads.  I've
understood that cupping can be attributed to HOW you use the brake and the
throttle while in the turning mode.  My sense is those of us who trail brake
or use a large measure of throttle while exiting turns can expect to see
more cupping.

That said, I agree that the brand of tire is a factor.  Every Bridgestone
front tire I've run on a modern motorcycle has cupped, some rather badly.

Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST