RE: [ST] Dreaded cupping

Given the explanations as to its cause, it would appear that all tyres
must suffer this to some degree.  Braking will wear down the front edge
of each tread block, left bends, the right edge (as viewed from the
road), etc.

It follows that back tyres may well just have a small peak in the
centre of each block as it experiences all four forces, however, because
of the rounded profile, the left edge (of the block) will not get warn
on left bends, or the right on right.

Accelerating out of bends puts extra lateral forces on front tyres so
it is likely that cupping on the sides will be accentuated by this
technique.

If you want your tyres to last, don't use them <tee hee>

Chris Harwood
'00 Eclipse RS

>>> david.funk@xxxxxxxxxxx 14/10/2004 16:02:28 >>>
>From my experience, cupping is related to braking. But I don't see the
connection to heavy throttle will exiting a turn.
I did have this thought; hard cornering might tend to wear the cupping
flat with its side to side force, while the braking force is front to
back (or visa versa).

David W. Funk
'00 Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA