RE: [ST] Busted...

Sometimes if you put down your sidestand on the sensor, it has enough mass to trigger the magnetic field.

I have one of those green-light trigger magnets (just a powerful magnet that I paid extra for because it was packaged for motorcyclists). It is attached and zip-tied to the cross piece of my center stand. The way the pamphlet describes sensors is that a induction of a magnetic field is caused by motion. So the faster you are moving over the sensor, the more likely you are to trigger it. Obviously, this is not always possible in less than ideal situations.

The magnet does help, but there are still the occasional troublesome intersections I have to deal with from time-to-time.

Another good pointer is don't come in over the center of the sensor. The sensors are usually a wire in a circular, rectangular, or diamond arrangement. As much as possible, try to keep your bike lined up over and parallel to the sides of the sensor wire. In otherwords, try to have as much of the mass of your bike pass over the sensor (this is more difficult with the circular and diamond arrangements).

It may be different in Or, but in Ca, Caltrans has a number you can call to report faulty intersections with faulty sensors.

Peter Chittum
'01 BRG ST
San Jose, CA, USA

End of st-digest V2004 #573