[ST] Re: chain lube

> What do you use...plain old oil?

Hi Tim

Yes. Well, not plain old oil - fresh SAE 80 or 90
(gear oil). It's thicker so stays on longer. Some folk
use Scottoiler oil, which apparently is pretty good,
even without a Scottoiler, but expensive. I've even
heard of folk using chainsaw oil or used engine oil,
but can't comment on those.

I run a *thin* stream of it along both edges of the
chain between the sideplates, just enough to keep the
rubber seals healthy. Enough gets onto the rollers
that you don't need to oil them too - in fact if you
do oil them then you'll get a build-up of oily crap
around the gearbox sprocket and grit sticking to the
chain and a puddle under the bike, with inevitable
comments on British bikes from your Jap-riding
buddies! Do it in a restrained way and none drips or
gets on tires etc. It takes about a minute to do, if
you have a centrestand. I usually do it once a week,
but maybe also mid-week if the roads have been wet and
filthy. And it works - my X-ring DID has been on for
about 24,000 miles now and has hardly even needed any
adjustment.

Barry
2000 RS