[ST] You meet the strangest people on the road

Due to my bike being in for its 48k mile service I'm forced to drive my
truck to work.  As I pull into the Quick Trip to top up the gas tank, at a
$1.88 a gallon, I notice a rather used looking R1 with luggage sitting in a
parking spot.  When I start the pump I notice the license plate on the R1
looks....odd.  It's English.  OK, time to check this out!  I walk around the
bike for a minute or so, and sure enough, it's a rider.  There's a scenic NC
tourist type decal, assorted trackday decals, one that looks suspiciously
like a Nurbergring decal, oil slather from a Scotts Oiler, all sorts of neat
stuff.  Out trots the chap riding it.  He got off the boat on Sept 1 in like
Elizabeth, NY.  With Nick Sanders.  Nick is a crazy Englishman who
circumnavigates the Earth for fun.  Well now Nick is doing it for profit,
and bringing along those willing to pay.  He also does extended tours of
various countries.  Anyway, they passed through Winnipeg, and headed to
Alaska.  They didn't make it due to being snowed in somewhere in Canada.  So
instead they went to Seattle.  Unfortunately R1chap(no I didn't get his
name) has a mate now in Seattle hospital.  The fellow started the tour with
the group, but it seems he hit a deer and broke his pelvis there in
Washington.  But like a good MC adventurer R1chap kept going.  Good man!
>From Seattle they've been making there way back to NY via the long route.
Breaking many speed limits along the way.  In fact, one of their group got
nabbed for running a red light in some podunk town on HWY36 in Kansas.
Unfortunately there might be a required court appearance, LOL  R1chap had
gotten separated from the group somehow after they left just north of KC in
the morning.  400 miles ago.  He asked me how far it was to Indy.  I said
about 2 tanks of gas....er, 300 some odd miles.  He almost collapsed.  But
that's where tonight's hotel was, so he was going to slog it out.  It was
already 1pm when I met him.  I left him with a "have a good ride" and a hand
shake.  He did say Nick's next time in The States he would base out of some
location and do loop rides.  I'll have to check out his
site(http://www.nicksanders.com/) to see about that. R1chap painted Nick as
quite the fellow.  Sounded very much like a number of the LD riders I know.
You either love him, or hate him.   But interesting to be around, and ride
with.

I'm starting to get real jealous of these guys.  A few months ago it was a
car salesman coming back from California after up and quitting his job, in
Ohio, 2 weeks prior.

Steven Kohlscheen
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
AMA life member #548538
HSTA # 9351
TSRA member "Dirty Dawg" sec/treas

PS.  If this should find it's way to him, apologies to the nice gentleman on
the R1 for not getting your name right.