Re: [ST] Starcomm1 vs. AudioBoss Comm. Systems

On Sep 22, 2004, at 8:49 AM, Bil Swartz wrote:
> My biggest need is amplification, it's almost impossible to make out
> speech
> over FRS/GMRS at freeway speeds.  Earplugs help of course but it needs
> more.

I can't compare with the other systems, but I could clearly hear my
iPod with AutoComm's system and helmet speakers even though I was
wearing ear plugs. However, different people have different hearing and
so levels (and frequencies) that work well for some might not work well
for others.

I had to ditch the helmet speakers because they took up too much space
in my helmet, and for the past year or so I've been plugging my
Etymotic ER-4P's (in-ear earphones) directly into my iPod. It has
worked well, although it can be painful if I snag the cord to the
earphones after I've put my helmet on. (The cords generally run down my
chest and into the chest pocket on my 'stich where I stash the iPod.)

I've been meaning to solder a female stereo mini-jack onto the old
helmet speaker wires, then glue the mini-jack on the back of my helmet.
That would let me use the ER-4P's with the AutoComm, and it would let
me route the extra wire down my back, where it has less of a chance of
catching on anything. Of course I never seem to be home to get to this
project...
- --
Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
San Mateo, CA (USA)