Re: [ST] Starcomm1 vs. AudioBoss Comm. Systems

In a previous email, Bil Swartz stated:
> But another reason I prefer the helmet speaker is that it's wired in
> and attached, not sure I'd get along with having to put my speakers
> into my ear with the wires hanging down and then try to deal with
> putting on the helmet, knocking them out, etc.  Any issues there?

Bil,
I have a set of the Etymotics. I love them. Not only do they do the
double duty of giving me music and acting as earplugs they also sound
great. I've never had them pull out while putting on the helmet. And yes
it is a full face, a Shoei RF900. I never tried the helmet speakers. I
normally wear earplugs and I think back to my stagehand days of running
follow spot at concerts and having to wear earplugs and turning the head
set to full volume so that I could hear they caller over the noise.

My favorite follow spot incidents:
At a MC Hammer show I'm about 200 feet from the stage. The caller tells
me to hit Hammer. Meanwhile there are about 20 guys on stage in glittery
outfits running all over the place. Took my a good minute of hitting
different people to figure out which one was Hammer.

At another show, again about 200 feet from stage,
Caller: "Spot 2 on the bass player"
I open my dowser on one of the guys.
Caller: "NO SPOT 2. THE BASS PLAYER!"
Me: "I'm on the bass player."
Caller: "THAT'S NOT THE BASS PLAYER."
Me: "WHICH ONE'S THE BASS PLAYER?"
Caller: "STAGE RIGHT! STAGE RIGHT! (Expletives deleted)"
Me: "Sorry. At this distance I can't tell if the damn thing has 4 or 6
strings."

- --
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA, Earth

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"If you don't know what to do, call the media and at least give the
appearance of doing something."
            -- David Peterson