[ST] Riding again

After a winter and spring of borrowing my wife's V-Strom (not that there's
anything wrong with that!) and flatspotting the beemer's tires, I've got an
ST back on the road and we've been laying down some twisty miles again.

A short update on my original '99:  A spark plug stripped out of the head
while attempting my first Saddlesore 1000, taking the coil with it.  I had
that damage repaired, but in reassembing the bike, I missed something.  It
ran as it always did, but the oil consumption was very high where there was
none before.  I'm assuming damage to the valve guide as I did not observe
any damage to the cylinder walls or rings.  As I was debating another tear
down, Lisa White said they were thinking of selling their ST's, so I bought
Richards '99 ST.  A quick cattle flight to Houston and a somewhat slower
ride home and I have two red ST's in my garage.

A month ago, my sister finally relented and allowed her 15yo son to fly to
Albuquerque and ride Uncle Dan's bike.  The plan was to put him on a dirt
bike and teach him to ride, but my sister demolished those plans by
specifically limiting Eric to the back of my bike and no others (she's
still bigger than me), so we saddled up and took off for Colorado.  First
the long boring hwy550 to Colorado with a bored 15yo saying "Is that it?".
Then the climb from Durango to Silverton and a 15yo with a grin a mile
wide.  then the Million Dollar Highway and I thought his head would split
from the even bigger grin.  We Stayed in Montrose, rode down the Gunnison
with a trip or two on side roads to Salida for another night, then through
Cripple Creek to join with friends in Denver for the 100,000 foot rally.
One day, ten, 10,000 foot passes.  Very cool.  I sent him home with very
likely the coolest summer story.  I hear he's still talking about it.

This last week, 17 friends met again in Colorado, this time Ouray for three
nights and then on to Moab Utah for another three nights.  The trip up was
cold and raining.  Ouray held frost, snow and more rain.  I finally escaped
by running through the snow over to the West side of the mountains.  For
those who haven't spent much time in Utah, Moab has more riding than the
map would suggest.  Running through the parks can be very exciting and the
scenery is unmatched.  Definitely worth the trip.

I've now put 5000 miles on Richard's bike and it is running great just as
the weather is cooling for fall riding.

Next month, Ruth and I are flying to Spain for an Edelweiss tour.  Can't
take the Triumph, so have to 'settle' for BMW's.  Oh well

Dan.

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, New Mexico
www.danwallander.com