Re: [ST] Any takers? was: Shocking result

> 	Anybody have experience using an aftermarket shock on the ST?

Bryce (who lurks here) put a Penske 8981 on his RS. He's selling the bike and shock separately. I've inquired about buying the shock as I need/want a new one for my RS. His spring rate might be too stiff for me, so I'm on the fence. Ohlins, HyperPro, Hagons, and maybe more make shocks for the Sprint.

I think the important thing is to measure your eye-to-eye distance. It's 365mm on my RS. You also have to decide if you want compression damping adjustment, remote preload adjustment, ride height adjustment, a reservoir or not, etc.

The Penske "Sport Shock" ($599 list) looks to be a good bet if you don't want compression adjustment. HyperPro has a simple "emulsion" shock at a similar price. I think the Hagons is a simple emulsion type shock as well.

Personally, I want compression adjustment, if not separate high and low speed compression adjustments, but those shocks sell for about $1000 each (or more). We have lots and lots of expansion joints and frost heaves in our local roads and my RS kicks up badly when it hits them. Seems OK on smooth roads, perhaps even a bit soft. The theory with separate high and low speed adjustments is that you can make the overall ride firm (low speed adj), but it will still soak up the nasty bumps (high speed adj).

Garry