[ST] Tech Info

OK - got back from the Dragon RAID in Deal's Gap.  I had tons of fun -
what a road!!  That road is plain out nasty!  So tight and twisty.  And
the other roads in the area are fantastic, but a bit more open and
faster (then again, everything is in comparison to the Dragon...).  It
was great weather, and I had a good time not only there, but also
heading down.

On Friday night, Triumph held a "tech session".  It was held by Chris
(don't remember his last name), who is the head tech guy for Triumph
North America.  The discussion ended up branching out into all sorts of
things, but I thought there were a few key points that everyone might
want to hear.  Some of which are endlessly discussed on all motorcycle
message boards.

1 - DOT5 brake fluid.  This should not be used on our bikes.  The reason
is that DOT5 fluid can have an ill effect on the rubber in our brake
lines.  You can use DOT5 brake fluid if you change your brake lines
(like to stainless steel braided).

2 - chain maintenance.  Do not use WD-40 or Kerosene to clean your
chains.  All Triumph motorcycles now come with X-ring type chains, which
have rubber X-rings at the ends of the rollers.  Both WD-40 and Kerosene
degrade/eat at the rubber.

3 - the magic oil thread came up!!!!  Now of course, Triumph's stance is
to use their Mobil-1 oil.  It is specially formulated for Triumph bikes.
However, as soon as someone asked, "what about using other Mobil-1
synthetic oils?" - the first response from Chris was, "well now we're
splitting hairs."  So take that as you want, but that basically says to
me that it's going to be fine (i.e. it's not that much different).

Anyway,

ride safe and enjoy,

Matt Heyer

PS - anyone on this list have the silver ST from the WARP rat pack that
low-sided on the left side Saturday?  Did you get it back together
enough to ride home on Sunday?