[ST] 2005 => Disappointing

This Saturday I went to my BMW-Triumph dealers open house. I saw both the K1200S and 2005 ST. The K1200S (should have a different letter like "J" or "Y") was very nice, but at that price it is expected. Also why no centerstand? The seating position and bars were very good. The instruments were very readable.

The 2005 ST was disappointing. It looks good, but there were no bags so I still don't know if they are as wide as the look in the pictures. The seating position and bars were very good. All in all a nice bike.
But it still has several flaws, which is why I am disappointed.
Others have commented on how nice it is that it has a lockable storage compartment in the fairing. I agree that is a good idea. But Triumph filled the box with the tool kit and electronic parts. So look inside, there is really no room.
I had also read that the instruments were improved. They may be better, but still the speedometer is small and off center. I think the speedo should be big and in the middle (like the K1200S). With a big torquey motor the tach is not very important.
On a sport-touring motorcycle having the exhaust under the seat is WRONG! The losted storage space will be missed by all.

Why is there still no helmet lock?

It would also be a nice thing if Triumph could improve the footpegs. Make the bike narrower and lower the pegs a bit for more comfort, but no lost ground clearance. Kind of what the newer R1's and GSXR1000 have done.

David W. Funk
'00 Sprint ST
Pleasanton, CA