[ST] Queries about a new '04 ST from a newbie

Hi all,

I'm new to the list and have just bought a run-out '04 ST.  I liked the way
it sounded like a bike rather than a Swiss watch and the engine's a pearl in
terms of a broad spread of easy power.

I'm in Melbourne Australia and around my state we have a great collection of
mountain roads; I did 300k of them yesterday and the ST makes running a nice
line easy.

The owner's manual that came with the bike is in German however. Wonder if
you can help ...

1. It seemed from the manual's drawings that the rear preload adjuster is
accessed through a hole in the frame.  A lot of ST riders appear to firm up
their preloads and the rear rebound damping.  I found when the bike was
heeled over in a bend and hit a bump there was quite a wallow on the
standard setttings.

Sportsrider mag recommends ten clicks out on the rear preload.

When trying this I can barely hear the clicks - and they don't appear to
come regularly; they wouldn't I suppose represent a whole turn of the screw
would they? or half?  (and what have you found works for  you? .. I'm a solo
rider weighing in at 80 kilos, c. 175 pounds).

2. When she's on the centre stand and I spin the back wheel there is a
distinct rattle or clicking. Sounds like a worn chain, but it's new, lubed
and properly adjusted. Any ideas?

Meantime, I have a couple of Genmar risers winging their way downunder,
ditto for crash protectors and a radiator/oil cooler guard.

TIA,

Ern