Re: [ST] Queries about a new '04 ST from a newbie

Hi Ern,

I can barely hear the clicks - and they don't appear to come regularly;

The clicks are there alright, you'll feel them as much as hear them. They're about a half turn each.

When she's on the centre stand and I spin the back wheel there is a
distinct rattle or clicking. Sounds like a worn chain, but it's new, lubed
and properly adjusted. Any ideas?

I had this aswell when I changed my '99 for a '04.
There's a lug on the frame just below the lower run of the chain (rearwards of the gearbox sprocket) and the chain will rub along this when the bike's on the stand. I changed the front sprocket to 18T which was stock on the earlier bikes anyway. No more clicking, the bike accelerates more cleanly and low speed work is smoother too.

Martin,
Ireland