[ST] Crank story continues...

>I should also point out that I didn't say that I agreed with the
>suggestion that removing the camshafts was actually easier/quicker, just
>that some might argue that it is (I've heard the comment before myself)

>anyway, it's a moot point on '02 and later

>cheers,
>Neil

My biggest fear would be that the tech wouldn't give a s**t about how the cams were removed and replaced, he'd just get them out of the way and back in as quickly as possible.  In my previous post I alluded to conversations with a couple of tech I really trusted.  A couple of other things they pointed out to me was that the <'02 cams/heads are a matched set, individually machined.  You mess up a cap by putting it in backwards or in the wrong spot, you buy a new head/cams, you gouge a cam pulling it out, you buy a new head/cams, you tweak the head by not torquing the caps in the proper sequence to the proper values, you buy a new head/cams.  You get the picture.  This is not work I would trust to anyone who didn't know enough about Triumphs or do enough Triumph work to own a proper valve adjustment tool.  ( A whopping $49 investment, IIRC)

> YMMV of course. As an engineer I tend to optimize (as I've been told),
> and I just call'em the way I see them.

I totally agree with Tom.  The tool allows you to do two valves at a time, and after the first time you do them yourself, you should know exactly what needs to be done from the MEASUREMENTS (provided you keep proper records)  The first time I did mine, it took ~ 6 hours, which included LEARNING how to do it, fixing my tool after I'd bent one tong, running to the local speed shop for shims, then installing a timsert in the hole I stripped by following the f**king manual's toruque values (which turned out to be a >2002 ST manual, see my previous post) and removing and replacing the tank 3-4 times to re-route some of the hoses which I believe had been wrongly routed at the 20K service, which I could do because I was travelling.  I suspect, like Tom, I'll need 2-3 shims this time around. If I can't do the 30K in under two hours, it's because I've either been drinking too much, or not enough, coffee! :-)

btw, at said 20K service, a FACTORY TRAINED TECHNICIAN forgot to replace one of the valve cover bolt O-Rings when he replaced my valve cover.  Now the FACTORY PAPER WORK says that the 20K service, which I paid for in full, isn't done until said tech does a 10K (6 mile) test ride.  How he missed the fact that oil was running down the bleeding thing like the "gusher" scene from "Giant" I'll never know, but boy was I pissed when I picked it up from the Federal Allied terminal in Denver after they'd done the service and shipped me the bike.  I relate all this so you can put in perspective MY opinion of having a NON-Factory trained wrench wrenching on my bike WITHOUT the proper tools, and doing completely unneccessary R&R to make up for it.  YMMV, thanks but no thanks.  I'll do it myself.