[ST] Lane splitting & Living the good life...

Hey James,

Sorry to hear of your battle with the big "C".

My favourite uncle succombed three years ago. He was a pioneer of motorcycles in Australia during the '60s & '70s, racing all number of Triumphs, Nortons, Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasakis etc. I was about two weeks to late to take him for one last ride on an original Bonneville. We had to be content with keeping him comfortable and re living the exploits of some of the greats. Sheene, Dunlop, Hail, etc.

The best of luck to you.

As for lane splitting, I rode a GSX600F for two years in the UK, commuting from Cranleigh to London on the A3 and loving the country roads of Surrey and cruising to Box Hill and Brighton and all over southern blighty. All in all I found that people in cages were very obliging.
One morning I even followed two motorcycle cops all the way to London on the A3 during peak traffic. Talk about a parting of the water. Now that was a ride!

The best ride I have ever been on was with Ride magazine across France to the Bol d'or at Paul Riccard in 1996. 50 bikes with support vehicle, crew and doctors. The condition of the roads was the best I had ever ridden on and there was an amnesty for bikes for the week of the carnival. No limits, no tolls. Race bikes with slicks and open pipes was a common sight and sound. My poor little GSX was flat out at 130mph on the motorway. I felt the jet wash as I was regularly passed by race bikes and tricked up race reps like I was standing still. The odd Mercedes driver joined in. I didnt see a single car get in anyones way. They moved to the right very early and stayed there. The Honda Blackbird had just come out and everyone that had one was keen to press home the point that it was infact the fastest production bike available. Unfortunately, a couple of journo's from Moto Revue found the limit of the Blackbird and didnt return from that ride. I was getting about 100 miles to a ta
 nk and fully expected the motor to diassemble itself at any moment. The little Suzuki held on and got me home. Just. I'm sure my mechanic had a holiday from the service bill.

I highly recommend this as a must do ride if it still exists.

My '99 ST is coming off the road for a while for some much needed TLC. Perhaps after that I will be able to post some more recent ride reports.

Thank you to all for the info on the oil usage.

I'll quite happily chuck in a few bucks for the website to Rupert and crew. Any extra, have some beers on us.

How does this Paypal thing work?

Rider side up, rubber side down,

Brett
Sydney