[ST] It Wont Start

I had an interesting starting problem yesterday with my '99 ST.

I went through my usual start up procedure. Everything appeared as it should be.

The idiot lights were on, the fuses were all good, the relays were all good, the battery is good.

I hit the button and it should of fired. There was only a click that tells me something electrical is going on but it wont turn over.

I check the clutch sensor and the sidestand sensor, both good.

I do notice that the horn wont work.

I make a phone call to my dealer and describe whats going on. He asks a mechanic who just happens to have seen this before.

Go to the left handle bar switch block. Follow the wiring harness until you are about half way between the switch block and where it disappears under the dash.

Cut open the outer sheath and find the black wire with the yellow strip or it could be a yellow wire. Chances are it will broken at about this point where it is crimped with a third wire.

Once its back together the bike will start and the horn will work!

Aparently this happens on ST's and RS's.

I noticed a lot of moisture inside this sheath getting in through the hole for the clutch sensor.

I'm not sure about anyone else, but this is the sort of problem that would have had me chasing for days.

Hope this is helpful to others.

Cheers,
Brett
Sydney