[ST] electrical demons (sorry longish)

Argh,

My once truSTworthy STeed has let me down again.  This time just up
and dying on the freeway during Friday afternoon rush hour.

2000 ST appr 27,000 miles.

So on my way into work the engine just quit while running at about 35
to 40 MPH.  No idiot lights on the dashboard, I pull in the clutch and
thumb the starter; nothing.  Let out the clutch and bike slows even
more. Cage behind me honks his horn, I signal that he is number 1.
Pull in and let out again, engine comes back to life and the rest of
the ride (all 5 minutes) is without incident.

9 hours later, the morning's incident mostly forgotten, I start my
commute home.  The bike started right up and I had no problems until
it just died.  I, of course, was in the far left HOV lane.  I pull as
far left as I can and try the ignition again.  Key off, key on hey
lights work, but no engine lights no starter; not even a whimper. No
bueno. I don't have a clue what to do.  I am now really starting to
lament my bad habit of leaving my cell phone on the kitchen counter.
Through a gap in the traffic I see about 3 cops about a half mile back
performing a drug search on an SUV.  Odd going north is the wrong
direction to interdict BC Bud.  Seemingly thousands of cars and a
number of motorcycles pass by.  Finally a guy on Beemer stops and
offers a lift.  As the cops are so close, I decline to abandon the
bike and thank him all the same.

Finally one of the HWP stops all lanes of traffic on I-5 and drive up
to me.  They help me push the bike to the right hand shoulder and
dispatch a wrecker at my request.  After standing on the side of the
freeway for an hour and a half the tow truck finally arrives.  To his
credit the driver really takes his time stringing up the bike.  Seeing
the bike hanging off the back of a truck makes me sad.  The bike is
now sitting at my dealers.  The service writer for the dealer says the
triumph techs should be able to look at the bike on Wednesday.  This
is one part of Lynnwood cycle barn that I despise.  The actual
mechanics are sequestered from the customers like most car
dealerships.

This is the third electrical failure in the last 6 months, I have been
commuting on the bike rain or shine for almost 3 years, now I can't
trust it.

First failure; starter wouldn't engage: (bike would push start though)
Second failure: heated grips didn't turn off with key
Third: bike just died.

Has anyone heard of problems like this?  I can't continue paying
dealer labor rates every couple of months. I know other liSTers have
way more mileage on their bikes.  Could it be the Seattle climate?
This year has been very dry though not to mention the bikes are built
in blighty one of few places with even more miserable weather than
Seattle.

The dealer quoted me $13000 including tax and license for a new ST
today. They wouldn't give me a quote for trade in on my bike, until
the mechanics look at it.  I think I could swing the payments, but the
wife would not allow it.

Chuck
Saddleless in Seattle