RE: [ST] Brake rotors

Ken Mitchell" <kp.mitchell@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
What I fail to understand is why are your rotors gone
so early in life?

They're not gone. They're grooved and it's very
noticeable when you rub your finger on them. At 25K
miles (40K kilometers) I don't consider it's abnormal
on a bike ridden to work almost every day including
winter with salt and sand on the road. I've changed
front rotors on every motorcycle I took beyond 50K and
the improvement in braking is worth the money (got
yesterday a pair of EBC pro-lite from Cyclebrakes for
380 USD, and I'll install them myself). It's always
cheaper to keep a bike for a long time and replace a
few parts (brakes rotors and bearings essentially)
than to buy a new one every three years. In the case
of the ST, the 99 is a keeper because newer models
(from 2002 year model on) are real leg burners. I test
rode three to make sure and the difference is very
noticeable.
That said, my riding buddies tease me for being
overzealous with motorcycle maintenance...
As for pads, OEM have been replaced with EBC sintered
for the last 15K miles (about 4K miles on the second
set) just because they're available in two days at the
nearest shop and I got fed up with waiting several
weeks for Triumph parts to come.

Jean Doublet
Sprint ST 99
Guzzi CX100 Le Mans II 1980