RE: [ST] FYI Gas prices

You simply prove my point, Rod.  Why would ANYONE pump oil or make/sell
anything if you cannot profit from it?  Whale oil didn't stop being the
fuel of choice because our New England ancestors starting liking whales.
It was cheaper to buy Kerosene, made from crude oil that in many cases
was floating around in fields.  Gasoline, by the way, was a by-product
of Kerosene refining, but no one knew what to do with it yet.  As a lamp
fuel it is, shall we say, explosively illuminating.

The world is not a perfect place nor are the people in it without fault,
but global conspiracy theories are right up there with the Grassy Knoll
and the trip to the moon that was made in a TV studio.  As to the
Valdez, it was a mess, but it lead the way to improved tankers and
safety procedures.  We still learn from our mistakes.

Who gets the oil?  The highest bidder.  Simple, but that's why your gas
costs what it does.  Of course the government, in many countries, is the
single largest cost factor.  Odd, that the entity with little or no
contribution to production, sale or distribution makes such a large
"profit".

Econ 101? Phooey.  It was probably taught to you by some
well-intentioned simpleton who believed that indexing social security to
the CPI would help the retirees.  Instead you got inflation.  Law of
unintended consequences.

Andrew F. Kay, Jr.
Riders of the Lost Empire, LC,  13355 79th Street, Fellsmere, FL 32948
www.lostempire.com   andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Sound, sound the clarion, fill the fife, throughout the sensual world
proclaim, one crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a
name." Thomas Osbert Mordaunt, 1730-1809