[ST] commuting

My calculations for my 2000 RS are under $.25/mile. You must be spending
a lot more for something than I am. I've been commuting for 25 years in
the LA basin and I wouldn't go any other way. Cars are too expensive,
slow. trapped in traffic and use twice as much gas as the bike. I would
ride the bike even more if my wife would ride with me, but, not her bag.
We use her car. My car insurance is twice the bike's. As I said, it gets
less than half the gas mileage. I takes 10 to 20 minutes longer to cover
the 18 mile route to work, (the bike is about 25 minutes). Cost is about
the same for oil changes. And the bike is a lot more fun, especially
with the canyon romp that covers half the route! For the record, I have
a '96 Mazda pickup that gets around 19 mpg. It now has about 18,000
miles since new and wouldn't have that if my wife wouldn't make me use
it now and than. The bike has 35,000 on it that was shared mileage with
the 929 that I sold last year. The insurance got too expensive on the 929.
Bare

I did quick calculations on cost per mile for my family minivan, coupe
and RS, they all come to between $0.32 and $0.35 per mile. I tried to
be very complete, vehicle cost, insurance, tires, planned maintenance, a
fudge factor for unplanned maintenance, gas, etc. The only advantage I
get from commuting on the bike is that I can ride in the commuter lane,
that saves me about 20 minutes each way on a 45 mile drive through
traffic.