Re: [ST] FYI Gas prices

On 07/04/2005, at 11:52 PM, iPat wrote:

> the price of oil goes down and production slows down, the price rises
> and production goes up. OPEC manages the volume in order to keep price
> within certain margins.

The thing that gets up my nose is the "spontaneous" link between
international crude prices and bowser/pump petrol.  In Australia we
often see the price at the pump jump within 36 hours of an announcement
of a new record price for a barrel of crude.  The oil companies always
point to the crude price to justify retail pricing.  But, unless there
has been an incredible advancement in the time required to transport
oil from the other side of the world and then refine it, I'm thinking
it's a load of crap.

David

End of st-digest V2004 #914