RE: [ST] Mileage

Ok, I've asked this before and received no answer.  My understanding of
cupping is that it occurs primarily when the tires are underinflated.
Now, this may start another thread, but I have learned over time that
the motorcycle manufacture's recommended pressures rarely match the tire
manufacturer's recommended pressures.  From what I've seen, the tire
manufacturers typically come out at least 5psi higher.

Any time I've dealt with cupping, it's been an inflation issue, cured
each time with more psi.  The front on Skittles (which really needs
replacement anyway!) came to me badly cupped and only 25psi.  I inflated
it to around 40psi IIRC and 1500 miles later, the cupping is greatly
reduced.  Same thing happened on the Hawk a few years ago when I was
believing Honda's recommendations.  5 (or so) extra psi cured it then.

<deep breath>

I have been led to believe that the tire manufacturer's recommendations
are the way to go, even if they are hard to secure.

YMMV

(was that a rant?  Sorry!)

Jeremy Witt
Field Engineer