[ST] for Steve Bergman - Accidents

Accident: /noun - /an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured but for which legal relief may be sought - Merriam Webster

>>> Humans in general are accident prone and when you are hurtling down a road at the helm of a 2000lb hunk of metal a small distraction can lead to disaster. I don't think that makes the operator a criminal. <<<

When you accept the privilege of 'hurtling' you are also accepting the responsibility of the consequences of such 'hurtling'. Allowing yourself to be momentarily distracted by a map, the radio, or conversation with a passenger or cellphone is not only stupid but is a *criminal abuse* of that privilege.

>>> It's one thing if someone is drunk or flagrantly disregarding the law but I'm sorry, a person can accidentally run a stop sign or pull into traffic thinking it's clear when it's not....still just accidents and not crimes. <<<

The correct term for 'accidentally' running a stop sign or pulling into traffic thinking it's clear when it's not is *criminal negligence, *not inattention*.* The only difference between these events - caused by lack of concentration - and a 747 Captain sleeping in the cockpit while in flight is one of degree of culpability. A driver who doesn't see a motorcycle, sure as hell wouldn't see a lady with a baby carriage either. Right-of-way violations are the most inexcusable of all crashes and
if I'm ever guilty of one, for chrissake shoot me! The concept that an adult human is incapable of functioning without being able to drive a motor vehicle is ludicrous.

donnydogood - - - o&\o