Re: [ST] for Steve Bergman - Accidents

Don, I respect your opinion here and I understand what you say but I'm going to
have to disagree with you on a couple of points. I'm not trying to be a jerk or
anything I just want understand what people are thinking here.

For one, I guess I don't think websters definition of "accident" is
neccessarily important here. I'm talking about regular, good, upstanding,
productive people here who are in a situation that could happen to anyone and I
don't believe they should go to jail for making a mistake or having an
accident, or executing poor judgement.

Second, I have a real problem with the notion that driving is a privilege that
one accepts.  The way our world is set up now I really don't have a choice in
this matter.  I hate driving, I hate every second I have to spend behind a
steering wheel out in that death trap of roads filled with every kind of idiot
you can imagine. Unfortuneatley I've come to that realization late in life and
am not in a position to do much about it. (I have moved to within 2 miles of
where I work) Our way of life demands that idiots drive cars and I don't
consider it a privilege in any way.

Lastly I don't understand your statement that "...The concept that an
adult human is incapable of functioning without being able to drive a
motor vehicle is ludicrous.....". I feel the opposite is true... What's
ludicrous is believing that an adult human can operate any piece of machinery
without error. We're just not built that way.

Steve Bergman