RE: [ST] It's the little things...

You forgot to mention to disconnect the battery.  When I did mine, I had to sit on the bike and apply brake myself.  SO I used a longer lever arm (floor jack handle).  As I broke the nut's torque the lever arm (which is metal) touched the alternator (somewhere) thus creating a circuit from alternator through wrench to the counter shaft and SPARK with a HOLYSH*T what was that! and a blown main fuse to boot.

Who would a thunk it?  The only time I disconnect the battery is when I pull the tank.

-----Original Message-----
From: st-triumphnet.com-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-triumphnet.com-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
thfwsf@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 4:00 PM
To: st-triumphnet.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] It's the little things...

Steve, what great timing.

I just changed my sprockets and chain last night.  Though I have to admit, it wasn't near as adventorous as yours!!

Though I did have to buy two new tools over the past.  A new 36mm socket and a motion pro chain tool.

Other related notes:

A dremel works great to grind/cut off the chain rivits.

A can of beer in the hand is a great companion to a wrench in the other.

Weight of a 6 1/2 year old son, with ST in first gear, is just enought to allow one to remove the front sprocket nut.

What the H E double L were they thinking when they put the bottom screw of the front sprocket cover directly behind the shift linkage - what a b!tch to get it out.

A chain off of the ST is approximately the lenght of the wheelbase of the bike.

Cleaning the gunk/gorp/crap/whatever that stuff is off of the surfaces that the chain runs near is one nasty dirty job.

When you clean up the gunk/grop/crap/whatever that stuff is off of the floor of the shop, so a good job. left over cleaning material not properly cleaned up is slick as snot.  It can cause a nice little ooops, follows by a few choice four letter words.

Test drives at 10pm at night should be conducted with a clean helmet visor.

Wife may call you a grease monkey and marvel at how one's hands can change color when working with the surfaces near the chain - reminder to self wear gloves or something next time.

Weight of wife, standing on brake lever to obtain the right torque for reinstallation of socket is just enough to retorque the front sprocket nut.  Note to self, do not comment about how she is perfectly weighted to assist you....

Touching top of follically challenged head results in nice big black smudge on top of head.

Drink another beer and relax.

I enjoyed your tale Steve, thanks!

Tom
'01 Sprint ST.