Re: [ST] Bought an ST!

So, Jim, Tell us...  Did you like the St?

Every time I get back on the ST after riding the '74 Beemer, I get to feel like that too, again.

Welcome to the club.

Dan Wallander
Albuquerque, NM

Jim Crate wrote:

Well, I went and picked up the ST on Friday, then put 300 miles on it over the weekend. It needs new tires (rear had a bit of cord showing by the time I got home), new front brake pads, small chain adjustment, new oil, and some cleaning. One thing I didn't even see until I got home is that it even has a Throttlemeister on it!

First impression: "Wow, this thing is BIG! What have I gotten myself into?" I had sat on a couple of STs before, but never ridden one. As I went for a small test ride, I felt like I'd never ridden a bike before! I tentatively rode it down the residential street and back, and at low speeds it seemed much more difficult (and did I mention BIG?) than the old Magna I was used to. It felt similar (in size) to the Hayabusa I sat on at a dealer! However, I had made up my mind. This was supposed to be a sweet bike, and I was going to get to know it before deciding it might not be for me. I figured I don't spend much time at low speeds on residential streets anyway. The bike seemed to run fine, so I paid the agreed price, loaded it up with my stuff for the rest of the weekend (the factory bags are *nice*), and we left.

Second impression: deceptive, effortless speed. It is really easy to go fast on this bike, compared to my old Magna, even when unfamiliar and tentative. From the very first time pulling out on the main road, barely cracking the throttle open, shortshifting through 1st and 2nd, then checking the mirrors to find my friend in his Jetta has barely pulled out on the road and I'm already going 50 and I've barely opened the throttle! The same thing occurred when getting on the highway, I gently rolled on the throttle, short- shifted through a couple gears, and suddenly I'm going 90! Getting the old V45 Magna up to 90 takes a bit of work, this was completely effortless. Wow, what *did* I get myself into? :) What I found really amusing is that after a few miles, I discovered that I could cruise at 90 mph, sitting up, left hand resting comfortably on my leg. The Magna, with its handlebar-mounted windshield, requires both hands on the handlebars at higher speeds to be comfortable.

After not being ridden more than a couple miles since December last year, the bike ran flawlessly the whole weekend. I got 44 mpg on the first tank of gas. I had to really concentrate and found it amazingly difficult to keep the speeds below 85 on the highway on the way home, knowing the tire didn't have much left in it. For a new bike, much different seating position than I'm used to, the highway ride home was pretty comfortable, too. The Corbin seat feels hard but comfortable, and being somewhat short, I'm sure the bar risers make things nicer for me as well.

Compared to the Magna, this bike seems to beg to be ridden "enthusiastically". Also, with the Magna, I had always found it extremely difficult to look ahead through corners. This always confused me, because I have never had such problems with cars, and being a track driving instructor I'm used to telling my students to "look ahead through the corner" and "keep your eyes up". On the Magna, I constantly had to remind myself when I came to a corner "eyes up, look ahead". This always bothered me because I shouldn't have to work that hard as something so simple. However, from the first on-ramp with the Sprint, I found myself looking ahead perfectly through the corner. For some reason, I don't even have to think about it anymore, it just happens naturally just like in my car.

So, after a couple days riding the bike around, I have to say that I'm very happy with it. I don't think I've even gone over half throttle yet, and I've not yet taken it above 7K rpm, so I'm sure there is much happiness left to be discovered as well. :)

Jim