[ST] Re: Speaking of heat...

From: Blake Sobiloff <sobiloff@xxxxxxxxx>

On 8/23/05, sprint_st@xxxxxxx <sprint_st@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sounds good, but who knows.  Lots of drag racers buy their claims. I
> haven't bought it enough to pop the bucks for either coating or wraps.

A common problem with the wraps, as someone else noted, is that
they'll cause your exhaust pipes to rust faster because they can
absorb or trap moisture next to the pipe.

Not necessarily. Before I got my ST, I had an old 750 Katana that I put exhaust heat wrap on. I removed the headers and the 4-1 collection tube, applied the heat wrap, and then painted the wraps with hi-temp exhaust paint (aerosol can). The paint seals the surface, keeping water out. That bike did not run hot, shed less heat on the rider, and (for the 2 years I had it afterward at least) it had no engine problems. It felt like it was getting a little better performance, but that might of been psychological.

If you try this, make sure to leave enough space to put the header bolts back in and be prepared for some hefty chemical stench for the first 1 or 2 rides as the paint bakes on (according to the can, this baking is intentional).

-John Hickman
1999 ST
Lexington, KY