[ST] Brakes and other ramblings...

I think the last few weeks have been my maintenance month.  Sure seems  like
getting everything in place for a 25k checkup (should have been 24k miles,
but hey I commute on my puppy).

After my service, lets see, they did the following:

Adjust Valves (3 shims replaced - I need to start doing this  myself!!!  they
charged about 3 hours for this at $70 a pop!)
Change the oil and filter (said they always do that after a valve  adjustment)
Sycn'd the throttle bodies
Changed the coolant ( I was lazy on this, I'll do this the next time)
Flushed the brakes

Then on my ticket, they stated I needed new pads for my brakes.  I had  a
full set of EBCs at home and I told them I would do my own brake job.  Go
figure, they flushed my brakes, and I'm going to do my own brakes.  I must  be on
crack or something.....

Oh yes, the also did the obligatory test ride.  It had a big "OK" next  to it
on the ticket.  Gee, I hope it was OK.  The mechanic did say my  sprint ran
very well and was in good shape ( I sure hope so, after my wife and  kids, I
sure spend a lot of time taking care of it.  My wife often wonders  why I don't
sleep with my ST!!!)

I dropped it off on Thursday and they promised it to me on the following
Saturday.  I called Sat morning to ensure it would be ready (it's over an  hour
ride to the shop).  They stated it would be.

They have a decent shop with some of the goodies that one wants to  buy.
I've been wanting some new boots, and they had a 40% sale on Trumpet  clothing.
Gosh darn it if I didn't buy a set of new expedition trumpet boots for  less
than a buck and a half.  Nice boots too!!

Brakes - I'll tell you it's a pain getting to the rear brake. A real  pain.
I ended up taking the rear tire off so I'd have working room.   A beer and a
kid stepping on the brake pedal sure helped.  Daggnabit 1"  13/16" nut is
bastard to get off.  I'll have to working  on wearing  out my rear brake pad at the
same rate as my rear tire.  This way I can do  it all at once.  It was an
easy job, once I had the tire off (after taking  off the exhaust and loosening
the frigging luggage rack)

I did take the opportunity with the rear wheel off to clean up all that
fling off grunge that keeps building up....  Nice to have a clean  swingarm...

Oh well the front brakes were a touch easier, but I had to bleed the brakes
to get the extra fluid out.  After they flushed the brakes with a  set  of
worn pads the filled the reservoir all the way to the fill line. So darn it  if I
didn't have to remove some of the extra brake fluid.  I put on some  EBC HH
pads...

I will say it is absolutely amazing on how much black crud comes off of the
calipers when you spray cleaner on them. I thought I was going to have stains
on  my floor, looked like running cigarette tar when it dripped off of the
calipers...

Note on the brakes.  They were much better after being flushed by the  shop.
But with new pads they really grip now. I can no longer grab a bunch  of
brakes or I'll fly over the handle bars.  Sure is nice though.

I'm done with my rambling for now.

Tom

'01 Sprint ST