From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Lawler
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 2:21 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ST] OK, another oil thread...

In a previous email, Kevin.Dicks@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Time to put the ST away for the winter - I will keep the S3 out for
> the odd day when it warms up enough to ride.

I winterize my steed in a slightly different fashion but along similar lines

> 1.	Clean and wax the bike

Leave it dirty. Road salts can't do any harm if they can't get past the
dirt.

> 2.	Overly oil/wax the chain

Oil chain like normal.

> 3.	Put in some stabil fuel stuff - run it to get it through the
> system

I go through about a tank every week so the stuff would be a waste of my
money.

> 4.	Top the tank off (is this necessary, or can I leave it as is ?)

Top off the tank about once a week.

> 5.	Change the oil and filter

That'll have to wait until the next service interval.

> 6.	Spray WD40 on exposed metal

The exposed metal is covered with dirt. See number 1 above.

> 7.	Put it in my porch ('er indoors is none too pleased...), on the
> center stand - I might try to get the front-end of the floor but
> failing this I will put a bit of carpet under the front wheel and
> rotate it every month.

Leave it in the garage so I don't have to ride it up and down the stairs.

> 8.	Take the battery out and put it on a battery tender

Leave the battery in. I "tend" to charge it every day that there is no
ice or snow on the roads.

> Did I miss anything - do I need to overflate/underflate the tyres ?

Check like normal because the cold weather makes the pressure drop. Do
not over inflate. Cold tires do not grip as well as warm tires when it's
10F outside. DAMHIKT

> don't need to be bothered about rodents so I wasn't planning on
> covering the exhaust etc.

Between the wife's cats and my dog rodents are a non-issue. But it would
be fun to shoot a mouse out of the tailpipe on startup!

> So the question is, which oil should I use - bearing in mind I plan on
> changing it in spring before I ride it in anger.

Is anger before or after the ides of March?

--
Steve Lawler
Verona, NJ, USA

2001 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"

"The difference between a drunk and an alcoholic is that a drunk doesn't
have to attend all those meetings."