Re: [ST] st Digest, Vol 9, Issue 21

>Message: 2
>Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 17:22:32 -0800
>From: "Richard Marcus" <rich.marcus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ST] Triumph's absence at the shows
>To: <st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Zoltan and I attended the M/C show in Long Beach , CA on Saturday.  We
>talked to 2 different Triumph dealers at the show:  South Bay Triumph and
>Southern California Triumph.  We both asked them what they thought of
>Triumph's decision to not participate.

>Their answers couldn't have been more opposite:

>The South Bay sales guy we asked thought that it was a good idea, since
they
>were getting back-end co-op dollars to help defray the cost of being at the
>show. When he said it, it made sense, because I thought who does the
>motorcycle consumer really buy their bikes from?  Triumph or the dealer?
In
>reality, it's the dealers who are "the face of Triumph" to the world.

See below, I didn't like these clown's or their RETRO "Harleyesque product
line".

>Then Zoltan and I chatted with Tom Hicks, the owner of (WARNING:  shameless
>plug coming) the best motorcycle dealership in So. Cal, Southern California
>Triumph.  Tom thought it was one of the dumbest things Triumph had ever
>done.  His logic was to take look at what it'd cost Triumph to be at the
>shows. (Tom figured $1,000,000.)  Then make an estimate of how many people
>would come to them.  (By Tom's calculations, it's about 80,000 folks per
>weekend show, multiplied by 10 shows, or 800,000 people total)  Divide the
>$1,000,000 by 800,000, and you come up with a cost of $1.25/person as the
>cost of presenting your latest-and-greatest products to a large amount of
>folks.  By his calculations, Tom thought it'd be an exceptionally wise
>investment on Triumph's part.  And Tom's positoin also made sense to me.

No question! This was a MAJOR FU on Triumph's behalf.

>Rich M.

Rich, I was at the show too. We flew in from Phoenix, where we already have
four Triumph dealers and 1st of all I was under the impression and told the
guy so that SLEALING the name of a Silicon Valley Marquee was pretty shitty
in the 1st place (South Bay to me means Silicon Valley). Next, besides a
lone red 05 Sprint & Black S3 (see photos below) all they had was a bunch of
hopped up retro Bonneville's and Thruxtons or not my cup of tea. I asked the
guy how much HP their 994 "pumped" Thurxtons put out and he said about 100.
I sarcastically returned with, "oh...cool, about 10-15HP less than a stock
1050 Sprint at roughly the same weight in a poorer handling retro package";)
Then I when I mentioned we'd expected to see a new 675 he just walked away.

Finally, I think not supporting these international shows, particularly in
the USA was a major marketing blunder on Triumph's part. It's gonna hurt
them in the long run
(south Bay Triumph Photos below)

http://bigrex.net/pictures/Long_Beach_Bike-Show-12-10-05/SB-Triumph/05-Sprin
t-ST_JD.jpg