Re: [ST] Headlight Modulators

>From: Bil Swartz
>Personally I'm really wary of headlight modulators, to me it looks like
>someone flashing the headlight at you and around here that's a big invitation
>to folks to "go ahead and turn in front of me/do what it is you want to do cuz
>I see you."  Is this not the norm?

It is in Holland, and in the rest of Europe as well as far as I know.
Flashing your lights means either "I see you, I'll slow down enough
so you can jump in front" or "Get the f### out of my lane, can't you see
I'm driving a mean look BMW 7 series!!?".

A similar, unwanted signal that resembles modulating the headlight
killed a motorcyclist a few years ago in the UK Lake District. The
weave in the road made the headlight dip up and down, creating an
effect that's like a modulator. A girl waiting to cross the road
interpreted that signal as a sign to go ahead and cross the road.

Headlight modulators in Holland would either create a lot of
misunderstandings at crossings, or people would shoot into the
side of the road thinking you're police, or it would create a
lot of aggressiveness from traffic in front of you (probably the
most likely one). Non of the options make riding any safer...

Emile
www.piloot.com