Re: [ST] Sealed Battery

>From: George Chacko
>Is there a consensus on this group for the best choice of aftermarket
>battery? want to replace it with a sealed unit like a Hawker or an Odyssey

No personal experience, but I think if you want to make a ride around
the world the Odyssey is the thing to go:
http://www.enersysreservepower.com/ody_b.asp?brandID=5
That's the only battery GSers seemed to choose to replace the
stock battery, like this couple: www.globebusters.com

But I guess on the Sprint you can just choose for a Wallmart /
Yuasa (identical battery with same type nr, but cheaper) sealed
maintenance free battery if you're not planning for global
touring or deep-winter riding and save yourself enough money
to buy fuel for a nice long cross country :-). The BMW GS
always had battery problems because of the high ABS test
threshold and the high compression needed for those big
cilinder plus the fact that it had this manual "choke"
which needed inside knowledge to start it on the first
try when the weather was really cold (second start the
battery was near empty already). The starting system and
fuel injection on the Sprint seems to do fine on a standard
battery for winter starting.

If you don't do a lot of riding (in winter) you're probably
better off investing in a trickle charger to keep the battery
charged sufficiently. Just my opinion of course...

Emile
www.piloot.com