[ST] [RS] Starting Troubles

Before I take the bike to the shop, I was wondering if anyone has had this issue.

I haven't started the bike i about 10 days.  I turn the key and shorter than normal burst  chatter "fuel pump".  Tried to start and sputter and stop.  key off and then on normal length of chatter... no fire.  after several attempts i could smell fuel.  let stand for 30 minutes tried again.  same result  with various lengths of chatter/buzz, something close to running and then stopped.  Next try a backfire?  or something just as loud, couldn't hear out of right ear for 20 minutes.  After no more chatter/buzz and nothing close to firing.  I don't know if that was a backfire or not but I could smell something like a circuit board burn order (i work with PC and had a few burned ones). After When I turn the key I can hear what sounds to be a pump but quieter than the "normal" noise that was always there, now this may have been there too but may not have heard due to the load buzz.

Any ideas where to start?

Thank you
Mike