Re: [ST] [RS] Starting Troubles

Emile

I think you'll find accelerator pumps are just needed for carburetted
engines as they have no other way of knowing that extra fuel is needed
for rapid acceleration.

ECU mapping does it for injections systems.

Mike's problem sounds a bit like no spark as the petrol smell probably
comes from the exhaust pipe.  The smell of cooking electrical components
could well be related.  Oooh dear.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> Emile@xxxxxxxxxx 27/12/2005 13:18:14 >>>
>From: DrMikeL@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>I haven't started the bike i about 10 days.
>smell fuel. Next try a backfire

Sounds like it could be flooded. If you got enough battery power
left I would keep on cranking, make sure you do not touch the
throttle. Keep on cranking until it starts running. Make sure
before that nothing has leaked. I would also stop cranking
after 30 seconds or so if the bike hasn't started by then, to
make sure the starter doesn't become to warm. Like you did
before, let it cool down for half an hour or so. Did you touch
the throttle before in your previous starter attempts?

Another trick sometimes is to crank the engine with the
throttle in the full open position, to let it pump through
easier. If you do that, turn the throttle very slowly towards
the full open position, otherwise (don't know if the Sprint
has one actually) you might have the acceleration pump squirt
more fuel in there. With this injection system I would prefer
to keep it closed though, let the computer figur it out.

Do you have a battery charger? Was the engine cranking very
slowly? Otherwise you might have just enough to crank, but
perhaps it's not cranking fast enough or there is no spark
associated with it, which will flood it more. You could hook
it up to a car battery, but I believe that's not beneficial
for your battery (it helped me though with getting other
bikes started in winter). Disclaimer: I'm no expert at all,
but this is what I would try based on my limited experience
(and what I learned with piston aircrafts).

So full battery, closed throttle, long crank (but not too long).
That's what I would try first before suspecting malfunctions.
The pump makes weird sounds anyway depending on how long it has
been left alone and on how cold it is.

Emile
www.piloot.com