Re: [ST] [RS] Starting Troubles

The PCB burn smell is pretty annoying (scary).
As the ECU is sealed, can't be what you smelled.

Could it be that you have a coil in bad shape.
Could be also any actuator including the stepper motor.
(by the way, when the tank is off and you turn the key, it should move a
bit)

To me, could be not so difficult to locate the burned part.
Should still smell a bit. Could be the right thing to do before anything
else.

Chris is right (as usual). Check out the sparks first.

Rather check first for fuel leak and then the sparks.

You have to the tank/air filter off. Unplug the  coil,
unscrew the spark plug, put a bit of rag on the hole
avoiding anything to fall in. Are the plug wet or dry??
Plug the spark plug in the coil and let the plug "ground" part
touch the air filter holder as it's metal w/o painting.
Do them one by one. It's easier. If defect, crisscross the plugs and /or
the coils
to isolate the defective part.

The inconsistent initial pump buzz is strange though. If different, the
first should be longer,
not shorter. Let's say 3 sec.

Sound like the year doesn't start too well. Ok, bad joke.

I wish you to solve your problem and have fun.

Fred ST 02 BRG