Re: [ST] st Digest, Vol 9, Issue 41

Increasing the size of the master cylinder is a trade off. You will require less travel, but will need more hand pressure. I have a Superhawk with brakes ( on paper )  very close to my Sprint's: Both have Nissan calipers, pads are interchangeable. Both have Nissan MCs, the Superhawk's is larger. Both have SSbraided lines, stock on the Sprint, upgraded on the Honda. The Honda also sports a pair of Brembo cast iron floaters. Alot of money has been spent upgrading the brakes on the Honda ( about a grand) , and the Triumph stops better and feels better, bone stock. The extra travel gives you more modulation. The Superhawk has stopping power, but it is harder to access than the Sprint's. I bought an extra Sprint MC to try and refit on my Superhawk. Going in the opposite direction of several on this thread. HAvent tried it yet. Suffice to say the Triumph has by far the best brakes of any bike I have ever owned, including the Superhawk, a VFR ( linked ) , and ST-1100, and several ot
 hers.

  John

Neil Lindsey <Neil.Lindsey@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Rod,

I agree with you

I consider the Sprint brakes to be more than up to the task, and
personally I can put up with the creeping lever travel (I also often use
a velcro strap to clamp the front brake to the hand grip)

I've considered the options and do not consider that the benefits
justify the investment required, nor am I convinced that the creeping
travel issue can be completely eliminated anyway

That's because I believe it to be caused by the sticking caliper seals,
which pull the pistons back too far from the disk pads when you release
the brakes, and changing the master cylinder will not remedy that --
however, a master cylinder upgrade will reduce the lever movement
required to take up the slack

Neil