Re: [ST] GPS/PDA - portable and maybe good on the Sprint??????

Hey,

Pat wrote:
> although i used the UK version, i used www.expansys.com (which should
> take you to your national version).
> I got a Tungsten T3 at a reduced price in their B stock listing, a
> returned item. Then i bought the tom tom card for the T3 - again
> returned stock item. Both at reduced prices. Check it out
> I take the unit between cage and bike happily, have a pda which i dont
> actually use. Id have used the smartphone option but for the fact id
> have lost my bluetooth hands free option when in the car.....
> Worth a thought.

I've had a T3 since launch and swear by it (although by swear I don't
mean F'in' C ;).  I got a GPS unit with T3 connector, and Michelin
MapSonic from eBay for £40 in total.  The GPS unit is tiny, and is
tie-wrapped to the rear left indicator.  I just clip the T3 to a home
made bar mount and plug it in, and off it goes.

With good earplugs in, it's easy to hear the voice from the T3 speaker,
and the screen is good for more or less all kinds of light conditions.

To be honest, I find GPS useful for the "last 2 miles" bit of getting
from A->B.  20 years of biking without e-maps has made me rely on my own
happy-go-lucky "you're lost until you get there" way of navigating, and
it's immensely frustrating to have a bleepy gadget distracting me from
the fun of riding, no matter how far from my destination I really am.

Got an inch of snow near Glasgow, which is probably nothing to what
you've got!  Oh, I was in Aberdeen for the first time a couple of months
ago.  Great wee city, if a little damp and grey.  Hee hee.

Maybe bump into you in '06?

Cheers,

Andrew