[ST] Safe 2006 (was RE: THROTTLE TWIST GRIP)

>From: Kevin.Dicks@xxxxxxx
>Hey Emile - I lived in Celle which is about 15 or so miles from Hannover
>for a few years in the late 80's and my son was born in Hannover...flown
>into Hannover many times over the years....great memories :)
>Seems like taking the train was the best idea...

Was it for the military that you lived there? I was stationed near
Celle at Bergen Hohne (Belsen) for couple of months, on a little
Dutch part of a large English base.

Yesterday was an exciting day on the office as expected...

Went from Bremen to Amsterdam yesterday... or tried to.. the snow
got there before we did and the runway cleaners couldn't keep up.
Went holding for a while, runway only got more slippery. By the
time they got it cleaned up a bit the crosswind became too strong
to land safely on the slippery runway, so we diverted to Maastricht
which was still good. Halfway there I cought a passenger smoking
on the toilet and we encountered strong control vibration after a
bang, we figured it was propellor vibration because of icing (we
had ice build up the entire time) which we couldn't really get
rid of. Then we checked with Maastricht again to find out the
braking action got worse and the crosswind stronger, so we went
to Dusseldorf which appeared to still be ahead of the snowstorm.
Once on final the crosswind got very strong and gusty there, over our
limits. Going around to Cologne (which had a runway in the direction
of the wind) would mean we would enter a low fuel emergency phase,
so we decided it was less worse to continue our approach into
Dusseldorf. Final approach was extremely turbulent, but with full
control inputs we were able to land safe and smooth on Dusseldorf
(got an applause even for it :-), I guess people were glad to be
on the ground, eventhough it wasn't where they wanted to be).
Relieved after all this we taxied in to our stand, but when I looked
to my right I was surprised to find a large part of our deicing
boot had exploded and was hanging loose flapping in the stormy wind.
We didn't see this earlier because we had been in darkness and in
the clouds all the time. It explained the vibration and the bang at
least, in hindsight this was as close to an emergency as I've ever been.
Seemed just like one of the simulator checks we get frequently. Quite a day...

I hope the new year will be less turbulent for all of you then my last
flight of this year. Best wishes for a safe and fun 2006!

Emile
www.piloot.com