Re: [ST] Paging Gavin

Quoting Neil Lindsey <NeilLindsey@xxxxxxx>:

> you do realize that camshaft removal IS required to change valve shims
> on the newer motor?
>
> this is due to the 'shim under bucket' design, but it's really not that
> big of a deal, and I'm quite sure you don't need a special shim removal
> tool like for the older motor

Old kawasaki's like my Z1R used to have very large shims on top of the buckets
that where in direct contact with the cams. If you missed a gear and bounced
the valves it was quite possible for a shim to com out. The reultant mayhem
was not pretty. You can reduce the weight of the valve train by putting much
smaller shims under the bucket. You also do away with the old style shim
becoming dished and also comming out at high rpm.

- --
SimonB